Whether you plan to self-publish or to chase a traditional publishing deal, you only get one shot, and I’m here to help make sure your manuscript stands out from the rest—a gleaming flash of gold amongst a stack of Amazon listings and slush pile print-outs.
After carefully reading your manuscript, I’ll offer an overall assessment of its unique strengths and weaknesses, taking into account matters of craft such as structure, plot, pacing, characterisation, dialogue, language and style, and/or any other areas that call for attention. I’ll also offer concrete suggestions for revision using examples from your own work.
What services do you offer?
- Complete manuscript assessment
- First three chapters plus synopsis overview ($190 for up to 3,000 words plus synopsis, or $210 for up to 6,000 words plus synopsis)
- Structural/developmental editing (specific chapter/s or all)
- Editing of your book
- Hourly rate for consulting or follow-up
- Not sure what you need? Email me for a quote.
What does a manuscript assessment cost?
The cost of manuscript assessment is based on a sliding scale according to wordcount:
- $35 printing fee (or you provide a hard copy)
- First up to 30,000 words = $300 (minimum fee)
- Next 3x 10,000 words @ $75 per 10,000 (i.e. 40k – 60k)
- Subsequent 10,000 words @ $60 per 10,000 (i.e. 70k and above)
Therefore, an 80,000-word manuscript would cost NZ$645.00, and you could expect an 8-10 page report. Or a 30,000-word novella manuscript would cost $300 and you could expect a 5-6 page report.
I offer at 10% discount to all talented members of the NZ Society of Authors.
For a quote on a manuscript assessments, or additional services, or if you’re not sure what you need, please complete this template, and I’ll be in touch expeditiously.
Why you, Caroline?
I’m an award-winning writer, devoted reader, NZ Society of Authors-accredited manuscript consultant, Otago Daily Times book reviewer, and board member for the Michael King Writers Centre—giving me a 360-degree view of both the literature industry and current publishing trends. I’m driven and passionate about helping writers polish their work, and I take seriously the role of critic and assessor. I have a Masters in Creative Writing (University of Auckland) and a Bachelor of Communications in Journalism (AUT).
For a successful writer/assessor relationship you, the writer, must be open to suggestions and critique, and be willing to rewrite. I don’t expect you to take every one of my suggestions, but remember, you are paying for my professional expertise and opinion.
I am firm and straightforward, but also kind and compassionate. As a writer, myself, I understand how much of your soul goes into a work, and I will treat you with care and respect, whilst pushing you to do your best work.
Tell me more about the process?
- You complete the template to tell me more about the project
- I email you a written quotation and proposed timeline
- You sign the quote and return it via email
- I send you an invoice for 50% payment
- You pay the invoice, and this confirms the job
- I read your work and write a report within the timeframe
- You pay the 50% invoice balance within three days of receiving the report
- You get on with your next amazing draft
- I squeal with delight when you email me to tell me your book’s getting published!